August 12, 2015

Muslim executive banker sues HSBC £15million for discrimination

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Wednesday 12 Aug 2015 - 13:23 Makkah mean time-27-10-1436

London, (IINA) - A senior Muslim banker is suing HSBC for £15million due to discrimination, claiming it is like an old-fashioned colonial bank, Mail Online (Daily Mail) reported on Wednesday.
German-born Habib Kaya Biber, the former-co-head of the bank's industrial units, had a salary of £275,000 a year but claims he was paid less than senior managers because of his race and religion, and was unfairly dismissed.
The 44-year-old, who has Turkish parents, and worked with HSBC in London, received a £186,282 bonus in 2012, but others in his position at other banks were paid up to £1million more.
He said, “I knew that my peers at other banks were being paid total compensation of between US$1.5 million (£960,000) to US$2.5 million.”
He added, “I was certain that my peers had been paid a lot more than me”.
“I was singled out to be treated differently from other investment banking global sector heads.”
He also said: 'I believe the case is based on two or three or four years of interaction, and it is based on compensation numbers that we have ultimately seen, and it is based on inferences I have drawn.
“It is not based on a single individual approaching me and saying, 'You are a Turkish Muslim. I don't like you.”
For his part, the bank claims the dismiss of Biber was over his poor performance, saying his revenue figures were 'low' in 2011 and 2012 and dropped to zero in 2013, while his target was $10 million.
In his witness statement, Biber said, “I make this witness statement in support of my claim against HSBC that I have been unfairly dismissed and discriminated against because of my race (nationality, or ethnic or national origins) and or religion.”
The tribunal continues.
SM/IINA

No comments:

Post a Comment