October 11, 2015

Muslim Hijabi chef crowned as Great British Bake Off queen

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Sunday 11 Oct 2015 - 11:27 Makkah mean time-28-12-1436

(Image from google)

London, (IINA) - A British hijabi Muslim woman has been crowned as 'Great British Bake Off' queen after beating her two male competitors, defusing the negative stereotypical discourse surrounding Muslim women, according to media reports.
The Muslim baker whose name is Nadiya Jamir Hussain, won the judges' praise with her iced buns, mille-feuille and lemon drizzle wedding cake.
“I’m never going to put boundaries on myself ever again,” Nadiya, said in her victory speech, The Sun reported on Thursday. 
Naming Nadiya Star Baker, BBC1 judges stressed that she deserves to win. “I am really proud of Nadiya, not so confident to start with, but over the weeks she has grown in confidence,” presenter Mary Berry told Mirror.
“The finished result had to wow us and Nadia’s Showstopper was stunning. Sheer perfection and I have enjoyed every minute.”
On his part, Judge Paul Hollywood said: “Nadiya has brought something special to the Bake Off. Her ideas, flair, her emotions and her passion were all in her bakes, she just nailed the whole final. That was the best tasting final we have ever had.”
“I was absolutely exhausted before the last two days of filming, because I had done so much practice at home, but I felt I had given myself the best chance to fight for my place. I was pretty tired but high on the adrenaline of what I had achieved so far,” Nadiya said.
Nadiya, who is of Bangladeshi heritage, feared being dismissed by viewers before the semi-final because of not being a stereotypical British person.
A few days later, praised the positive response she got after appearing at the BBC1 cookery program, saying that it has shown how “tolerant” and “accepting" British society is.
Islam is the second largest religion with a population of 2,786,635, representing 4.4 percent of the total population, according to the sensus of 2011.
SM/IINA

No comments:

Post a Comment