March 24, 2016

British police arrest man on suspicion of inciting racial hatred

Image from Your Local Guardian

Croydon, England (IINA) - A man has been arrested in Croydon town in England on suspicion of inciting racial hatred against a hijabi woman after taking to twitter to say he "confronted" a Muslim woman over the Brussels terror attacks.
The 46-year-old man was arrested at an address in Croydon, according to the Metropolitan Police. He has been taken to a south London police station.
Earlier today Croydon man Matthew Doyle faced a barrage of ridicule on social media for tweeting: “I confronted a Muslim women yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said “Nothing to do with me”. A mealy mouthed reply,” Your Local Guardian news reported.
Doyle told the Telegraph he had no idea his tweet would be the "hand grenade" it has proven to be and that Twitter's 140-character limit made the encounter sound vastly different to how he thought it went.
"What everyone's got wrong about this is I didn't confront the woman," he said. "I just said: 'Excuse me, can I ask what you thought about the incident in Brussels?'"
"She was white, and British, wearing a hijab and she told me it was nothing to do with her.
"I said 'thank you for explaining that' and her little boy said goodbye to me as we went out separate ways."
On Wednesday afternoon, he says, someone who's been outraged by his comments "turned up at my door, gave me a load of abuse and tried to throw a punch at me."
"I'm not some far-right merchant, I'm not a mouthpiece for any kind of racism or radicalism," he says. "If I was xenophobic I wouldn't live in London.
"I have a Muslim neighbour who got burgled, and I was one of the first people to go around to help."
"Croydon" quickly became a trending topic following Doyle's post as scores of people bombarded the Twitter with replies and retorts, The Telegraph reported.
SM/IINA

Let's block ads! (Why?)



No comments:

Post a Comment